Tuesday, September 22, 2009

[T]he way he treats his body, you’d think he was renting. ~Robert Brault,

Working as a personal trainer and being in the health care field, I often get asked questions about nutrition. Unfortunately, I am not a dietitian or a nutritionist. I was however, a dietary aide once when I lived in Farmington. Anyway, I know several people who have tried different cleanses. There are so many ways to clean out your system, some bad, some good, some weird, you really have to be careful.



So back to the point. I experimented on myself. I had a client ask me about the General Motors diet plan. I still need my nutritionist to look it over and tell me how bad it is, but I figured why not try it and actually experience a set diet for 7 days and see what happens. I have never been on any certain name brand eating program and I was really hoping to lose cravings for the junk that I so dearly love to eat. Which was something I had heard happens from people who had done cleanses regardless of which one they tried. And I have to say that I didn't much enjoy it. This particular program lets you eat as much as you want, so I was never hungry, but in order to flush your system you start basic and with LOTS of water. I don't like to drink water. The first day was fruit. I love fruit so I made this huge fruit salad. This was the day I actually detoxed. I knew what day I was going to start this program so I kinda binged the day before. Probably not the best idea. I was extremely nauseous. Day two I felt much better and it was veggie day. Again a good day and I supplemented with the wonder soup they suggest. The only down fall was that Isaac had been asking me to eat lunch with him and I about broke his heart telling him I couldn't go. So I went on pizza day, like he wanted me to and only ate veggies. Day three is fruit and veggies. Still not hungry, but those chips in the cupboard look scrumptious and I have not had a Mountain Dew in THREE DAYS! Day four is bananas and milk. I so totally cheated on this day. I feel bad. However, it was because Chris had made breakfast for everyone and I thought he would feel unappreciated if I didn't eat any of his biscuits and gravy. Day five was beef and tomatoes. Yummy!! Day six beef and veggies and day seven was fruit juice, brown rice (which I skipped) and veggies. At this point all I could think about is the fabulous food I would eat the next day and not feel like a cheater. And also how active I would have to be to not gain weight back if I really wanted to eat all that other stuff. Day eight, I am no longer on the program. I am supposed to wake up feeling lighter and healthier and just plain fabulous. It seemed like such a long week!!! But here are the tips I have about this cleans and eating in general.




  • This was good for my system. It did get rid of toxins in my system. After I worked out today I did go right out and buy a Mountain Dew. I was so excited to drink it out of habit, but it tasted really gross. I was incredibly disappointed, that I might rather drink some water with lemon in it. But that was the whole point.


  • I liked that it was easy to follow. It included almost all food groups, but lacked in dairy (which you get three glasses of milk on day 4) and fats. Generally you should get 15-20% of fats in your diet too for healthy brain function and of course to protect those precious little organs of yours.


  • The wonder soup was super yummy and I recommend that you try it.I think that if you are on weight watchers point system it should be worth zero points.


  • This particular program claimed to lose 10-17 pounds in one week. That is the MOST RIDICULOUS thing I have ever heard! Please don't lose more than 2 pounds per week unless instructed by your physician. I did lose more than that, but less than the 10 pounds they promised and probably because I enjoyed a biscuit with scrumptious gravy on banana day.


  • When in doubt eat according to the glycemic index. It prevents diabetes and if you are already diabetic you pretty much have to eat that way anyhow. It just shows you how to utilize complex and simple carbs without eliminating any good foods.


  • Remember diet is what you EAT and not what you DON'T EAT.


  • Eat the most when you are busy. Eat a big breakfast and not so much at night. Timing is almost as essential as what you are eating. If you are working out ( and you should be) always eat IMMEDIATELY after. Not only are you going to burn the calories, but it will increase your energy.


  • If you don't want to drastically change how you are eating, feel you will miss your favorite food. Then don't give it up. Look at what you are eating and see what needs to be added. Do you need more grains, are you really getting all your fruits and veggies. Try adding instead of taking away.

1 comment:

James said...

Eating disorders and a bulimia cure can be overcome through various eating disorder programs in various treatment centers.