Friday, September 4, 2009

Some people say soccer's a matter of life or death, but it isn't. It's much more important than that. ~Variation of a famous saying

So I wish I could figure out how to write my life, so that it sounds interesting to read about. We have had a most interesting week. We lost Sherman, started school, started soccer, started speech therapy and Zoey has a well baby check Friday morning for good measure. Even though now Isaac has decided that he still has his cough and should go also. Whatever. I haven't taken Zoey in for a well baby since she was two and they totally freaked me out by telling me that she was in the 20th percentile for weight. Seems not such a big deal now, but I made a lot of phone calls that day.
We missed Isaac's first soccer game, cuz I am a loser that can't write down the right time. So both the coach and the assistant coach called and left me messages today about game time. (I really had a bad beginning part of the week!) But today was my first game coaching the pre-K team. Zoey was in charge of handing out soccer jerseys to all her teammates. She was very proud of that. Most of the kids didn't show up until after our scheduled game time, but we let everyone warm up. I was so happy to know the coach of the other team. We were so totally in the same boat (not really knowing what we were doing and just going with it). My goals for the team were to learn how to start and stop the ball without using hands or tears. At the time I really felt that this was an age appropriate goal. Well, Zoey's pretty controlling and really didn't want the other kids to have the ball so she just picked it up and ran with it!!! Seriously. Other than that I have got pretty good talent for 4year olds on my team. Now I just have to teach them that we are not playing against ourselves but the team wearing the other color. My team fought like cats and dogs, they are a very aggressive team. "I can run faster than you"or "I can kick the ball better than you." I had two girls literally fighting for the ball after it had gone out of bounds. There is nothing better than elbowing and pushing your way through your own teammates to make sure that you are better than them. On a good note though--none of my kids cried, even after they got kicked and hit! I think I will have different goals for next time. Or at least a different strategy. And now I am exhausted. The field was little, but the coaching was overwhelming!

No comments: