Tuesday, December 8, 2009

could it get any colder?????

BBRRRRRR.....It is so cold outside. I think the weather guy said only negative one but it feels more like Gillette's current -17. And the thing is its cold everywhere. Its cold at the Ronald McDonald House and its freezing in Isaac's room. Chris sleeps with three blankets on and he is still cold. Isaac on the other hand doesn't like to be covered up so therefore he is not.

I was nervous to leave him last night. He had such a rough morning and even though he had started out well on his way to recovery-yesterday was a bad day. But Chris and I needed some time to talk to eachother so we ate supper together at the Ronald McDonald house with supper provided by DeVry University. Afterward Chris went to stay with Isaac while I took Zoey duty. This morning was laundry day so Zoey and I found some breakfast and did a couple loads of laundry. We spent some time in the different playrooms. She does not miss her brother or so she says. Really its a lot like living in the dorms except that I brought a lot less stuff with me. I am not used to preparing breakfast with three other families in the kitchen but Zoey plays in the playroom with the other kids while I try and figure out where everything is. McDonalds provided lunch today so I had Chris swap out with me then so we could each eat.

It felt wierd being away from Isaac for so long but things went well last night. Yesterday they took him off the paralytic so even though he is still sleeping he can hear us and sometimes respond a little. Because of this they make sure that his restraints are on tight enough that he can't mess with all the tubes. They started him on some IV nutrition through his pic line. They changed out the NG tube which is a nasal gastric tube that kept yucky things out of his stomach and traded it for a TP tube which goes from his nose to the intestine so they can start feeding him that way instead. He has an infection that is secondary to the the croup and he is on good antibiotics for that. His stats are back up today. He is on 40% O2 instead of 100% like yesterday. His heart rate, breathing and blood pressure are back to normal limits. I am still praying for the tube to come out tomorrow night but the doc thinks it will take til thursday or friday before his lungs are clear enough and he doesn't require as much oxygen.

So I bundled up today to walk the three blocks to the hospital and it was so cold out that my fingers wouldn't move by the time I got here. I answered three or four phone calls and as I am hanging up my cell phone and answering the room phone Isaac wakes up and sits straight up in the bed. AAHHH what do I do? He shouldn't be moving and really you would think that with all the stuff he's tied to he wouldn't be able to. FREAK. ME. OUT. I yelled for a nurse --my hands were full putting down the phones and holding down Ike at the same time so I didn't even think to push the call button. Thankfully nothing was undone and he is sedated again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Soosts!
I'll keep checking the blog spot! Lots of good information here! Thanks for updating us so well Jara! We're thinking of you all! Take care of each other down there, and again if there is anything we can do, please call us!
Angie

peggles said...

what a fiesty little guy! remember to call if you need anything, jara. as always, give him kisses for me.