Friday, May 8, 2009

I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. ~Rita Rudner

This is kinda weird, but I was thinking how if we got a babysitter--which in and of itself is a whole conversation, but IF we did I would probably instruct her not to answer our telephone. 9 times out of 10 its a telemarketer and those of you who have called know that we have strong issues with the fax machine. Which by the way I have been told that I am right to unplug it and that hanging up on it just doesn't work. So as I am having this random thought go through my head it travels once again to the fact that my 6 year old and 4 year old do not know how to use a phone-- in general. I have thought about this once when we lived in Montana. So I used my cell phone to call the home phone and found out that my kids couldn't reach the phone to answer it. Which of course also means they could not call 911 if any of us were to need assistance. It was odd to realize this. But of course we moved on. and on. and I should probably check in on the situation. There are things like proper phone manners, or emergency situations and whatnot. I know my kids can reach it know, but my kids still don't answer the phone and even on rare chance we tell them too, they look at us like you want me to do what, why? I am sure I was answering the phone by the time I was six. I am sure I probably crawled onto the counter and used the rotary dial phone with a short cord on it to bug grandma down the road ten times a day. It was exciting to answer the phone and see who was calling. (Heck, it was exciting to get a push button phone with a long cord on it) But we have caller ID now so if it is a telemarketer, I tell the kids that it is someone I don't know and I don't need to talk to strangers. So we don't have an immediate response to the phone and neither do the kids. I was letting Isaac get used to my cell phone to call Chris, but with my new phone--I'm just not ready to go there yet. Like I said this is an odd topic, but I just think it is so weird how things have changed in just a short time.

1 comment:

peggles said...

i love the quote, jara! love it!