Monday, April 26, 2010

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change. ~Author Unknown

So right now I do not have any sick children. Normally I think nothing of it--even when they have a cough. But going to MN this weekend, I am 100% sure that Isaac will get a cough. If you remember him being in MN without the cough--Please let me know. Never had to worry about his stinkin cough before. Always treated it the way the Drs said to and he never had any other symptoms. But now I am about the prevention--prevention of never going back to Denver's PICU.
Mayo Clinic's definition of croup:Marked by a harsh, repetitive cough similar to the noise of a seal barking, can be scary for both children and thier parents. The harsh, barking cough of croup is the result of swelling around the vocal cords (larynx) and wind pipe (trachea). When the cough reflex forces air through the narrowed passage, the vocal cords vibrate a barking noise. Because children have small airways to begin with, those younger than the age of 5 are most susceptibe to symptoms of croup. Croup usually isn't serious. In fact most cases are treated at home. Sometimes, your child may need prescription medication.
This gives me no help. He is not younger than 5. He does not have an abnormally small airway. And sometimes you have to be airflighted to the pediatric intensive care unit. The internet says that to prevent it you do the same as you would to prevent a cold. Yup--I never told him to sneeze into his elbow as to not get croup. Been there done that. It also said to keep up on your childhood immunizations. Well he made it throught he first grade--pretty sure we got that covered too. I tried to read about homeopathic remedies that suggested a plant that I had never heard of -so I looked that up and the first site I went to said how poisionus it was so I am NOT going to use that. I still think that his cough is triggered by an allergy and when I asked the doc if I should bring anything with me--she suggested allergy medicine and make sure to give it to him before we go. So this week I am doing my darndest to strengthen his immune system and his histomine systems so they are hard at work when we go to MN. And if he seems a little out of it--don't be all THAT surprized. I am a bit nervous.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Have a wonderful time in MN this weekend!

Maybe in the fall we can get a date that works for all of us to get together....or hey....even a weekend at an indoor waterpark thingy in the middle of winter!

The babies are adorable!